Thursday, April 29, 2010

Observations

So, after being in Brazil for a month and a half, I've noticed some things...

-I am considered a blonde here.
-Crosswalks are merely randomly placed white stripes on the street. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. Ever.
-Schedules change constantly. If a plan is made, expect it to change at least two more times.
-Wanna lose weight? Come to Brazil! Rice & beans + walking everywhere = hot bod!
-Brazilians are crazy drivers but the world's best parkers. We should all take lessons in parallel parking from them.
-Brazilians are the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met. Yes, even more than Texans.
-Portuguese is really hard.
-I want to have fruit trees in my yard like they do here when I get a house someday.
-Only 1/4 of the pregnant women here have natural births. Everyone else has a C-section, regardless of whether or not they medically need one.
-Onion and garlic is used in almost every meal. Yum!
-No one has air conditioning in their house. Doors and windows are left open so the breeze can come in.
-Brazilians turn into completely different people when watching their soccer teams. Complete mayhem/intensity/nervousness/excitement/loudness. Hilariously entertaining. I could learn to love soccer here.
-There are stray dogs everywhere.
-Kids only go to school half a day.
-Manicures and pedicures are really cheap. If you want both, it will only cost you 20 reais, which is about $12.
-I've decided I want to learn how to salsa dance.
-You know a soccer team has scored if you hear fireworks outside.
-Time is not a factor.
-Mark, Ali, & Barbara's dogs are bilingual. Sometimes I'm jealous of them.
-Skype might be the greatest invention ever.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this!!

Brianna Allen said...

This is so true! I loved every comment! You should definitely learn how to salsa dance! It is so fun! I also have enjoyed learning how to swing dance.

Unknown said...

Hilarious! I'll make the salsa and you do the dance.

S.P. said...

I love it!!! So, are there african americans in Brasil? (you know I just have to poke fun @ you from last summer!) I miss you Sarah...I am also super jealous that you are there and I'm not :-( But enjoy it and take it all in....

Beijos!

Anonymous said...

So I loved your Dad's comment, definitely just made me smile. I'm getting caught up on reading your blog. This was a great post though! I can't wait to go to your house one day and eat fruit from your trees. I love you Sarah Lang.
~Melinda

Anonymous said...

sarah miss miss miss you why you ask only because you have a hot body and want to salsa dance...hey and guess what...you're funny. so is your dad i concur with melinda it must be where you got it from. i would like for it to be a peach tree at your house because i will be there lots prob and peaches are my favorite! i had my 1st pedicure this past weekend and i decided you know how some people just look prettier with makeup..its the same way with my toes they look better with color. i love you and am so honored to call you my friend and just because i don't e-mail or facebook you might make me a terrible friend but i always think of you and love that God put you in my life come back to the usa someday please