Friday, March 19, 2010

Oi from Brazil!

I made it!

After a tearful goodbye and a long plane ride, I am finally in Brazil! I have been preparing for this moment for a long time, and I'm so excited it's finally here. We hit the ground running when I got here, so let me catch you up on the past couple of days.

After saying goodbye to my parents, I flew to Dallas and met three of my very best friends for lunch at the always fabulous Central Market. My friend Lauren gave me a special scrapbook filled with encouraging letters from friends and family to read when I need a little extra boost being so far away from home. If you wrote one of those letters and are reading this, thank you so much. I went through them all last night and felt so loved and encouraged! Thank you for going on this journey with me and being there every step of the way. It gives me peace knowing you all are praying for me everyday.

My friends were nice enough to go back to DFW with me to see me off, and Whitney got to experience the DFW airport for the first time ever. Exciting, I tell ya. She was pretty concerned about security because she had mase and a knife in her purse...good job Whit.



The plane ride was as good as 9 hours on a plane could be. I had an extra seat by me, so I was able to lay down. That made a huge difference and I was able to get some sleep. When I got to Sao Paulo, I was greeted by Ali, Barbara, Debora, and Carioca! When I saw them, I instantly felt at home. The adventure began right there!

I was able to go rest for a few hours when we got back to Itu, and then it was time for youth group. Every Thursday night, the youth comes over to Mark and Ali's for a devotional. They were extremely open and honest during group, and that was very refreshing. We talked about maturity and how it is the different experiences, struggles, and events in our lives that make us mature. Several kids gave very personal examples of times where they experienced themselves growing and maturing. This is a special group of people, and I am excited about the conversations we will get to have over the next few months.

Fast forward to today...I got to experience my first homeless lunch! Every Friday, Mark and Ali prepare lunch and invite the homeless of Itu to come eat, take a shower, and get fresh clothes. We had about 20 come today, and it was very powerful watching everyone interact. There is no judgment when they enter here. They are allowed to be themselves and be listened to. They are building a beautiful community at these lunches. I think this is something I will look forward to every week.





This weekend, I'll go to a young professionals Bible study and a drama club that the youth group has. (Start laughing right now, Andrew.) I'll go worship with the Itu church on Sunday. I'm very excited to see old friends and be back at that great place. The new building is looking so beautiful! Oh...big news...they're building a Wal-Mart right next to the church. Itu is playing with the big boys now. Next up, a Chuy's? Pei Wei? Taco Bueno?

Alright, I think that's all I got. Here are a few prayer requests to keep in mind:
-That I will strengthen my relationship with God and learn alot about myself.
-That God will open doors and plant ideas in my head of things he wants me to do while I'm here.
-That I will be able to learn as much of the language as I can and communicate well with those who don't speak English.
-That He will deepen my relationships with the friends I already have here and build new ones with new people.
-Safety and health for me, my family, and friends.

Thank you for your love, support, and encouragement. I love and miss you all!

-Sarah

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great first post.

Love you and miss you,

Mom

Holley Craft said...

Sounds like everything started off great! You are in my prayers and clubs prayers! Miss you already! love you!

Holley

Brianna said...

I'm sorry I wasn't in Dallas to send you off properly, but at least I made it by your house in Abilene! I bought my first Ranger's jersey tonight and thought of you! :) I'm sorry no one offered to make out with you on the plane to pass the time. I guess those kinds of things only happen to me when I leave the country. Too bad I turned the offer down. Maybe you'll get the chance on the way home. haha jk

Pamela said...

I saw your blog address on facebook and have just started reading. I didn't know you were going to Itu. How long are you there for? Maybe that will be answered as I continue to read. Haha! I will be praying for you. P.S. I cannot believe they are actually building a Walmart! We used to drive a long way to get to Walmart. Haha!